[Rd] On the mechanics of function evaluation and argument matching

Brian Rowe rowe at muxspace.com
Wed Jul 17 21:14:13 CEST 2013

I agree that failing fast is a good principle. My initial point led the other way though, i.e. any unmatched formal arguments without default values should be handled in one of two ways:

1. Fail the function call. This is what most non-functional languages do e.g. Python
>>> def f(x,y,z): x
>>> f(2)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: f() takes exactly 3 arguments (1 given)

2. Perform partial application, like some functional languages e.g. Haskell
f :: Int -> Int -> Int -> Int
f x y z = x

*Main> let a = f 2
*Main> :t a
a :: Int -> Int -> Int

Otherwise if an argument is truly optional, I don't see why a default value cannot be assigned to the formal argument when defining the function (excepting the edge cases you pointed out earlier).

Brian