[Rd] [R] How can C++ read the R object written into socket with saveRDS or save

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Jun 25 18:36:44 CEST 2013

On 25 June 2013 at 17:12, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
| On 25/06/2013 16:52, Rong lI Li wrote:
| > I found actually, the saveRDS writes the R object with XDR format. I could
|
| It may do ... depending how you call it.  You may prefer to serialize()
| to a raw vector whose size you can find, and transmit that.

I am not aware of a (simple) library parsing this outside of an R context
(and within the R context, I'd always start with Rserve from RForge.net).

But you could look into general serialization / translation libraries such as
Google Protocol Buffers (see https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/)
which can also translate into C++, Java, Python plus a host of
user-contributed bindings.

For R, you will find a package RProtoBuf on CRAN.  There are other, related
libraries but I have worked only with Protocol Buffers.

Dirk