[Rd] conflict between rJava and data.table

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Mar 1 02:04:45 CET 2013

On Feb 28, 2013, at 5:09 PM, Bunny wrote:

> Dear devel-listers,
>
> I found a conflct between rJava and data.table. Actually me questions is where to report it?
> Should I rather send it directly to the package maintainers or post it on some bug tracker.
> The problem is that data.table has a function called "J" and rJava uses the same quite intensively.
> I used the  xlsx R package which depends on rJava to write .xls files and ran into an error.
>
> write.xls from this package uses the functions and returns an error depending on the sequence the packages
> were loaded.
>

> Error in .jnew("org/apache/poi/xssf/usermodel/XSSFWorkbook") :
>  java.lang.AbstractMethodError: java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Ljava/lang/String;)Ljava/lang/Class;
>

> data.table::J
> rJava::J
>
> I can work around this by loading and unloading packages, but I feel this should be addressed because

Can you elaborate on the details as of where this will be a problem? Packages should not be affected since they should be importing the namespaces from the packages they use, so the only problem would be in a package that uses both data.table and rJava --  and this is easily resolved in the namespace of such package. So there is no technical reason why you can't have multiple definitions of J - that's what namespaces are for.

The error you report is entirely unrelated to J -- at lest in isolation. If you have a reproducible example, please share it.

Cheers,
Simon