[Rd] crossprod(): g77 versus gfortran

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 5 07:11:53 CET 2013

On 05/03/2013 01:45, Benjamin Tyner wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've got two builds of R, one using g77 (version 3.4.6) and the other
> using gfortran (version 4.1.2). The two builds are otherwise identical
> as far as I can tell. The one which used g77 performs crossprod()s
> roughly twice as fast as the gfortran one. I'm wondering if this rings a
> bell with anyone, and if so, are you aware of any configure settings
> which will improve the performance when using gfortran. This is on RHEL 5.

Note that recent versions of R do not build with g77, and have
performance improvements in linear algebra.  So please follow the
posting guide and give up the 'at a minimum' information requested and a
reproducible example.

Also, check what BLAS is in use: an optimized BLAS can make a lot of
difference on such simple operations.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk