[Rd] Snippets from other packages/ License

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Thu Mar 14 12:40:32 CET 2013

On 03/14/2013 03:34 AM, Felix Schönbrodt wrote:
> I want to use a function from another package (which is GPL>=3),
> about 20 lines of code, in my own package. I somewhat hesitate to
> depend on the entire package just for this single function, but of
> course I want to credit the original authors.
>
> What would be the best way to do that? Where should I put that
> credit? Or should I proceed completely different?

You could use 'Imports' if you will always use that code for your package.

You could use 'Suggests' with appropriate tests to see if it is
available if you only need it occasionally, or for only one function.

If you wish to fork the original code and include the code directly in
your package, then your package will also need to be GPL>=3, you will
need to list the authors of that code as Contributors in your
DESCRIPTION file, and I would strongly recommend that you place this
code in a separate .R file in your package, with a separate Copyright
and License comment block in that separate file stating the origins and
license for this code snippet.

That should satisfy both the spirit and the letter of the GPL.

Cheers,

Brian

--
Brian G. Peterson