[Rd] Deprecating partial matching in $.data.frame

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 09:25:50 CET 2013

On 20/03/13 17:58, Hadley Wickham wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 11:26 AM, peter dalgaard <pdalgd at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 20, 2013, at 16:59 , William Dunlap wrote:
>>
>>> Will you be doing the same for attribute names?
>>
>> Not at this point.
>
> It would be really nice to have consistent behaviour across argument names, attributes, lists
> and data frames, at least for R CMD check.

I agree with Hadley that consistency is quite important. This is especially true for data.frames
and lists, as this concerns the data itself, and not names or attributes of the data.

I would very much like to see at least at the level of R CMD check warnings for *all* partial
matching so that they can be ironed out before in the next stage warnings are give to the user (as
mentioned by Milan).

I was bitten at least once by a bug, which cost me quite some time to figure out, caused by
partial completion and would very much like to see it go (or at least have the option to show
warnings if it occurs).

Cheers,

Rainer

> Hadley

- --
Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys.
(Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44