[Rd] ess completion

Terry Therneau therneau at mayo.edu
Fri Mar 22 13:30:05 CET 2013

The thread is strange to me as well, since completion is logically impossible for my
Sweave files.
     - an emacs buffer is open working on an .Rnw file
     - there is no copy of R running anywhere on the machine
     - the code chunk in the .Rnw file refers to a R data object saved somewhere else
Of course it cannot do "name completion" on a bit of code I'm writing, lacking omniscient
powers.  Emacs is good but not that good :-)

The ESS manual section 12.1 states that for .R files it has "completion of object names
and file names".  I'm puzzled by exactly what this means, since it is logically impossible
(without a running R session) to do this in general.
Linking an .Rnw file to an inferior R process doesn't make sense to me.

However, I think it's time to move this sub-thread off of R-devel.  Respond to me
privately about the answer or the proper list for this discussion.

Terry T