[Rd] foreign: write.xport

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Thu May 2 14:37:10 CEST 2013

On May 1, 2013, at 1:12 PM, Tim Bergsma <timb at metrumrg.com> wrote:

> I see in the archives significant discussion about SAS, CDISC formats etc.
> for FDA, but no direct suggestion of adding a write.xport method to the
> foreign package.  Are there significant barriers to doing so?

Hi,

The primary barrier would be that a member of the R Core team would likely need to have the interest and time to do this and then maintain the code in the future, if it were to become a part of the foreign package, since it is part of the Recommended packages that ship with R.

The better alternative would be to see if you can use the SASxport package on CRAN:

  http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/SASxport/

which looks like it was just recently updated, after Greg, the maintainer, had gone missing for a few years. So perhaps Greg has resurfaced to resolve some of the issues that resulted in the package failing CRAN checks recently.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz