[Rd] Latex errors (build on windows)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri May 3 13:03:36 CEST 2013

On 13-05-03 3:46 AM, Knut Krueger wrote:
> Where can I found hepl about latex errors:
>
> the R CMD check tells me less, but:
> * checking PDF version of manual ... WARNING
> LaTeX errors when creating PDF version.
> This typically indicates Rd problems.
> * checking PDF version of manual without hyperrefs or index ... ERROR
> Re-running with no redirection of stdout/stderr.
> Hmm ... looks like a package
> Error in texi2dvi(file = file, pdf = TRUE, clean = clean, quiet = quiet,  :
>     pdflatex is not available

You should install MikTeX, from www.miktex.org.  I think it will put
itself on your path, but if it does not, you need to make sure the
miktex/bin directory is on your path.

> Error in running tools::texi2pdf()
>
> The http://win-builder.r-project.org tells me more details but I am
> comlpetely lost
>
> especially.:
>
> LaTeX errors found:
>

>    ! Paragraph ended before \hyper at n@rmalise was complete.
> <to be read again>
>                      \par
> l.575 \end
>
>    {ExampleCode}
> ! You can't use `macro parameter character #' in horizontal mode.
> <argument> ...1,1,1,-1),stringsAsFactors=FALSE) ##
>                                                     ## comment text in the examples ...
> l.575 \end
>

> {ExampleCode}
> ! Missing $ inserted.
> <inserted text>
>                   $
> l.575 \end

Once you have pdflatex available, you can run

R CMD Rd2pdf --no-clean <your pkg directory>

and it will likely give the same error, but will leave behind the files
that caused the errors.  Take a look at line 575 (or whatever) of the
.tex file, and you should be able to spot where it came from in your
code.  Fix that if the problem is obvious, or show us.

Duncan Murdoch