[Rd] Namespace/inheritance problem in S4 methods for a union class

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Wed May 8 18:02:11 CEST 2013

No need for generic functions and methods.  Just looking at the
hierarchy of the classes shows the problem.

With Martin's simplified version:

 > library(PkgA)
 > extends("A")
[1] "A"
 > library(PkgB)
 > extends("B")
[1] "B" "A"
 > setClassUnion("C", c("matrix", "A"))
 > extends("A")
[1] "A" "C"
 > extends("B")
[1] "B" "A"

So defining the union does not make all the subclasses of "A" members of
the union.

The next comments are guesses but plausible.  Loading the namespace of
PkgB may not update the known subclasses of classes from PkgA.

This is one of R's touchier points in general:  The state of things with
respect to classes and methods changes dynamically as packages are
loaded.  Until PkgB is loaded, "A" has no known subclasses.

If the guess is correct, then when the  class union is formed, nothing
tells us that "A" has a subclass "B" that should be added to the union.

Fixing this properly may involve the load-time actions and not be quite
trivial.

John