[Rd] Dependencies of Imports not attached?

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed May 8 21:27:33 CEST 2013

On May 8, 2013, at 1:52 PM, Martin Morgan wrote:

> On 05/08/2013 10:25 AM, Simon Urbanek wrote:
>>
>> On May 7, 2013, at 11:35 PM, Peter Meilstrup wrote:
>>
>>> Encountered an error in scripting, which can be reproduced using Rscript as
>>> follows:
>>>
>>> $ Rscript -e "library(httr); handle('http://cran.r-project.org')"
>>>
>>> Error in getCurlHandle(cookiefile = cookie_path, .defaults = list()) :
>>>  could not find function "getClass"
>>> Calls: handle -> getCurlHandle
>>>
>>> or by starting R without the methods package attached:
>>>
>>> $ R_DEFAULT_PACKAGES=base R
>>> [snip]
>>> Error in getCurlHandle(cookiefile = cookie_path, .defaults = list()) :
>>>  could not find function "getClass"
>>>
>>> As far as I can tell the error occurs when getCurlHandle .Calls a C
>>> function which then calls SET_CLASS, which (I guess) requires
>>> methods::setClass to be in the search path.
>>>
>>> Now 'httr' Imports 'RCurl' which Depends on 'methods'. So I think
>>> `library(httr)` should end up attaching 'methods' to the search path, but
>>> it seems 'methods' is just imported to RCurl's namespace.
>>>
>>> I think this is a problem since the Depends line is indicating that
>>> 'methods' must be attached for RCurl to work, whether or not RCurl itself
>>> is being attached.
>>>

>> For the record, I see the same problem with other packages that use S4 - very often it trips packages that don't use S4 but import a package that does. The analysis is correct - if a package B just imports a function from another package A which in turn relies on something in Depends, it breaks, because A is not on the search path and thus A doesn't have access to the dependencies it needs. I don't know that was the intended design. I see two way to fix this
>> 1) make sure Depends: are always put on the search path even if the package is not attached
>> 2) automatically generate imports for all packages in Depends:
>>
>> The main problem is that B is helpless - only a change in A can make it work. Fix for A is to explicitly add import(methods) even though it's already in Depends:. Note that R CMD check doesn't detect this.
>
> As described, this is a 'package maintainer' problem -- fix package A. Also, this isn't unique to methods, other packages routinely Depend: on something that should instead be Import:'ed.

By that argument Depends: is unusable. If you specify Depends: you are expressing that your package will work if those packages are on the search path. The fact that R will happily import functions from the package despite that requirement not being fulfilled seems like a bug to me.

> But I think Peter's case is different, because the C implementations of
>
>    SEXP R_do_MAKE_CLASS(const char *what);
>    SEXP R_getClassDef  (const char *what);
>
> need to be called from inside the package environment, but there is no way to pass the package environment through the interface above.

Yes, it's the same issue, but a case where adding imports doesn't help because they are not consulted. So in the current setup only 1) is a solution. With your patch, 2) would work as well.

> Maybe the partial patch (attached) points to a solution? It changes the interface (though would only break a couple of Bioconductor packages in a minor way) (I think there's a missing PROTECT in there too.)

At least currently the PROTECT is not needed because setAttrib() protects its arguments (although there are some dangerous comments in installAttrib ;)).

Cheers,
Simon