[Rd] R 3.0.1: wrong MD5 checksums for Windows?

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Sat May 18 11:11:40 CEST 2013

On May 17, 2013, at 20:01 , Tal Galili wrote:

> Hello dear R-devel,
>
> I am not sure if this issue is tracked or not, but in case it isn't:
> It appears that R 3.0.1 reproduces the error reported for R 3.0.0 here:
> http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/R-3-0-0-wrong-MD5-checksums-for-Windows-td4663348.html
>
> That is, that when installing R 3.0.1 on Windows 7, and then running:
>
> require(tools)
> checkMD5sums(dir=R.home())
>
> It produces the error:
> files ‘etc/Rconsole’, ‘etc/Rprofile.site’ have the wrong MD5 checksums
> [1] FALSE

As has been pointed out before, it is pretty much a non-issue. The Windows installer ships with md5 sums for some local configuration files and if they are locally configured or touched by the installer, the checksums will not match. checkMD5sums is for package checking, it is not documented to be used for checking R.home().

Perhaps the Windows maintainer could strip those files from the checksums, but I wouldn't put it on high priority.

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501
Email: pd.mes at cbs.dk  Priv: PDalgd at gmail.com