[Rd] R-3.0.1 - "transient" make check failure in splines-EX.r

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Fri May 31 01:20:47 CEST 2013

> From: Avraham.Adler at guycarp.com
> To: r-devel at r-project.org
> Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 16:17:36 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Rd] R-3.0.1 - "transient" make check failure in splines-EX.r
>
> I just found this thread on StackOverflow <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13871818/ns-varies-for-no-apparent-reason/13878936> which had the same problem with the `ns` call changing with Revolution, and the answer given by tech support was that the MKL BLAS sometime returns ever-so-slightly different floating point results than a reference BLAS. The problem with that answer is that if it is true, the runs should not change *on the same machine* but it is another example of this issue. Unfortunately, it seems to dead-end too.

Read some of the documents on the Intel site about floating point consistency and compiler optimizations. There are
some reasons that you could get a different result from repeated runs on the same machine. One of these would
be bugs like unititialized memory but another would be things like state of FPU and issues with
multi-threaded code having some order dependencies etc.

( hotmail can not believe I am trying to post text but maybe you can figure it out from whatver this link eds up looking like.... )
 href="http://www.google.com/search?biw=1253&bih=542&hl=en&q=floating+point+low+bits+vary+fpu+prior+state+site%253Aintel.com&oq=floating+point+low+bits+vary+fpu+prior+state+site%253Aintel.com"