[Rd] Embedded R Fails When Run on LSF Queue System

Nigel Delaney nigel.delaney at outlook.com
Mon Nov 11 03:13:32 CET 2013

Thanks Dirk.  I'll confess I am mostly trying to follow the practices
outlined in the writing R-extensions manual and books by Chambers and
Gentleman, but  have found some conflicting advice on the internet in
various places, and am also trying to build off a previously existing code
base (that at least worked on some
operating-systems/architectures/scenarios, but seems to break when I move
the program around to any new type of environment).  Will definitely
re-write that bit.

Sincere thanks again.  Out of curiosity, can I ask one more question since I
gather you have much more expertise than myself?  The extension manual has a
somewhat obscure, to me at least, section on threading issues (8.1.5).  My
understanding is that because the R_CStackStart is a single value, if R is
called from multiple threads (even if never simultaneously), it is
essentially best to just disable the stack check rather than try to re-write
this value each time, which I gather might need to be done (and simply
increasing the stack size of the calling thread will not help).  Is this the
approach you have taken in your projects?  Or do you think this is also a
bad idea?