[Rd] [Rocks-Discuss] Two R editiosn in Unix cluster systems

Adam Brenner aebrenne at uci.edu
Wed Oct 16 03:24:50 CEST 2013

Paul,

For our HPC cluster we have ran into this issue in the past. What we use is
modules[1]. We instructor our users to run a command, like

   modules load R/2.15.2

This will load up the environment path in which R/2.15.2 lives. If they want
to switch or use R/3.0.1 they simply run

   module unload R/2.15.2
   module load R/3.0.1

For all our software install, we do *not* install software on each node. The
overhead for us to create a compilation script and fork that out to each node
within our cluster (100+) is not worth it. Instead we use modules, as I have
described above. We use a standard NFS server with lots of NFS processes that
gets mounted on each compute node. This has worked extremely well for us.

The primary reason, is due to the fact the linux kernel does a fairly good job
when caching libraries. In our setup, we have experienced most, if not all,
the R libraries stay in memory once loaded from our NFS server. The data/input
files R uses is on our Gluster or FraunhoferFS parallel file system. Of
course, keeping the data local to the compute node would be the fastest.

If you still want to install software locally on each compute node, you can
still take advantage of modules. I do suggest you install R (from source or
RPM, etc) in a non-standard location like /opt/ or make your own /apps, /data
and so on. Then create a module file similar to the following:

        #%Module1.0
        module load gcc/4.8.1
        set  ROOT  /data/apps/R/3.0.1

        prepend-path PATH            $ROOT/bin
        prepend-path MANPATH         $ROOT/share
        prepend-path R_LIBS          $ROOT/lib64/R/library
        prepend-path LD_LIBRARY_PATH $ROOT/lib64/R/lib

Replace the TCL variable ROOT with the path of where R lives and you are good
to go. This method of works with other software besides R :-)

[1]: http://modules.sourceforge.net

-Adam

--
Adam Brenner