[Rd] Where to drop a python script?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Oct 30 20:15:59 CET 2013

On 30 October 2013 at 13:54, Jonathan Greenberg wrote:
| R-developers:
|
| I have a small python script that I'd like to include in an R package I'm
| developing, but I'm a bit unclear about which subfolder it should go in.  R
| will be calling the script via a system() call.  Thanks!

Up to you as you control the path. As "Writing R Extensions" explains,
everything below the (source) directory inst/ will get installed.  I like
inst/extScripts/ (or similar) as it denotes that it is an external script.

As an example, the gdata package has Perl code for xls reading/writing below a
directory inst/perl/ -- and I think there are more packages doing this.

Dirk