[Rd] How to get R cmd to check Fortran array bounds

Marian Talbert mtalbert at usgs.gov
Mon Sep 9 22:31:32 CEST 2013

I'm trying to get the this Fortran array bounds check to run on my code as my
package has been rejected for failing this test.  I read writing R
extensions and it appears to run this test I should use a Makevars file with
one of the following two flags depending on my compiler:
FCFLAGS = -g -O2 -mtune=native -fbounds-check
FFLAGS = -g -O2 -mtune=native -fbounds-check

and store it in the src subdirectory of my package.  I've tried this using
each of the above in a Makevars file.  It's not giving me the information on
where my code is failing the array bounds check and no warnings about
problems with my Makevars file.  I'm using R 3.0.1 I downloaded Rtools.exe
to match this version of R I'm on windows 64 bit.
I'm using R cmd check package.name from the command prompt which clearly
checks my package but the Makevars file doesn't seem to change anything.
I'd appreciate any information on what I need to do to run this test.
Thanks.