[Rd] declaring package dependencies

Michael Friendly friendly at yorku.ca
Thu Sep 12 15:38:43 CEST 2013

I received the following email note re: the vcdExtra package

> A vcd update has shown that packages TIMP and vcdExtra are not
> declaring their dependence on colorspace/MASS: see
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_results_vcdExtra.html
But, I can't see what to do to avoid this, nor understand what has
changed in R devel.

Sure enough, CRAN now reports errors in examples using MASS::loglm(),
using R Under development (unstable) (2013-09-11 r63906)

 > Caesar.mod0 <- loglm(~Infection + (Risk*Antibiotics*Planned),
data=Caesar)
Error: could not find function "loglm"

In DESCRIPTION I have
Depends: R (>= 2.10), vcd, gnm (>= 1.0.3)
Suggests:
ca,gmodels,Fahrmeir,effects,VGAM,plyr,rgl,lmtest,MASS,nnet,ggplot2,Sleuth2,car

and the vcd DESCRIPTION has

Depends: R (>= 2.4.0), grid, stats
Suggests: KernSmooth, mvtnorm, kernlab, HSAUR, coin
Imports: utils, MASS, grDevices, colorspace

so, in an R 3.0.0 console, library(vcdExtra) loads vcd and its dependencies:

 > library(vcdExtra)
Warning messages:
1: package ‘vcd’ was built under R version 3.0.1
2: package ‘MASS’ was built under R version 3.0.1

Note: these CRAN errors do not occur on R-Forge, using R version 3.0.1
Patched (2013-08-21 r63645)
and the latest devel version (0.5-11) of vcdExtra.

-Michael

--
Michael Friendly     Email: friendly AT yorku DOT ca
Professor, Psychology Dept. & Chair, Quantitative Methods