[Rd] declaring package dependencies

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 16:38:09 CEST 2013

On 13/09/2013 10:18 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> On 13 September 2013 at 09:51, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> | Changes are generally announced in the NEWS.Rd file long before release,
> | but R-devel is an unreleased version, so you won't see the news until it
> | is there.  Announcing things that nobody can try leads to fewer useful
> | comments than putting them into R-devel where at least people can see
> | what is really happening.
>
> That comment makes sense _in theory_.
>
> Yet _in practice_ it does not as many of us have been shot down by tests in
> R-devel which had been implemented within a 48 hour window of the package
> submission.

It sounds as though you are talking about CRAN here, not R.  I can't
speak for CRAN.

> Absent a time machine or psychic powers, I do not see how package developers
> can reasonably be expected to cope with this.

I'm a CRAN user as a package developer, and I do get emails about
changes, but I don't find them overwhelming, and I don't recall
receiving any that were irrational.  Generally the package is improved
when I follow their advice.  It has happened that I have been slower
than they liked in responding, but the world didn't end.

I imagine Rcpp pushes the limits more than my packages do, but I think
most developers can cope.  After all, the number of packages on CRAN is
increasing, not decreasing.

Duncan Murdoch