[Rd] declaring package dependencies

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Sat Sep 14 15:16:50 CEST 2013

On 09/14/2013 08:04 AM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
 >> On 13-09-13 12:00 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>> But the focus here should not be on my hobby package. The focus
>> needs to be on how four CRAN maintainers (who do a boatload of
>> amazing work which is _truly_ appreciated in its thoroughness and
>> reach) could make the life of authors of 4800+ packages easier by
>> communicating and planning a tad more.
>
> Let me paraphrase that:  "The CRAN maintainers do a lot of work, and it
> helps me a lot, but if they only did a little bit more work it would
> help me even more."
>
> I suspect they'd be more receptive to suggestions that had them doing
> less work, not more.

I think you're both right.

If the CRAN team would communicate more with this list about pending
changes, package authors could make those changes before submitting.
Those submissions that won't pass unannounced R-devel checks waste
everybody's time, including the time of the CRAN team.

Not to mention, most open source projects seem to have concluded that
more eyes on pending or proposed changes make everyone's life better in
the long term.

Regards,

Brian

--