[Rd] declaring package dependencies

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 01:20:05 CEST 2013

On 13-09-14 12:19 PM, Paul Gilbert wrote:

> On 13-09-14 09:04 AM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

>>> that we (as
>>> accomodate
>>> change that
>>> NAMESPACE checks.

>>> make
>>>
>>> One package author [as in user of Rcpp and not an author of it] was
>>> told by
>>> CRAN this week to change his package and came to me for help -- so in
>>> that
>>> small way the CRAN "non-communication policy" is already creating more
>>> work
>>> for me, and makes me look silly as "I don't document what Rcpp-using
>>> packages
>>> need" as I sadly still lack the time machine or psychic powers to
>>> infer what
>>> may get changed this weekend.

>>> package
>>> directly
>>>
>>> Rcpp is a bit of an odd-ball as you mostly need it at compile-time,
>>> and you
>>> require very few R-level functions (but there is package
>>> initialization etc
>>> pp).  We also only about two handful of functions, and those are for
>>> functionality not all 135 packages use (eg Modules etc).
>>>
>>> But the focus here should not be on my hobby package. The focus needs
>>> to be
>>> on how four CRAN maintainers (who do a boatload of amazing work which is
>>> _truly_ appreciated in its thoroughness and reach) could make the life of
>>> authors of 4800+ packages easier by communicating and planning a tad
>>> more.
>>
>> Let me paraphrase that:  "The CRAN maintainers do a lot of work, and it
>> helps me a lot, but if they only did a little bit more work it would
>> help me even more."
>>
>> I suspect they'd be more receptive to suggestions that had them doing
>> less work, not more.
>
> Actually, this is one of the parts that I do not understand. It seems to
> me that it would be a lot less work for CRAN maintainers if the
> implications and necessary changes to packages were explained a bit more
> clearly in a forum like R-devel that many package developers actually
> read regularly.

Then why don't you explain them?  They aren't secret.

I many not fully understand how much of the response to
> package submission gets done automatically, but I do get the sense that
> there is a fairly large amount of actual human time spent dealing with
> just my submissions alone. If that is representative of all developers,
> then CRAN maintainers don't have time to do much else. (The fact that
> they do much more suggests I may not be representative.)
>
> Two specific points have already been mentioned implicitly. CRAN
> submission testing is often done at a higher/newer level using the
> latest devel version. This results in lots of rejections for things that
> I would fix before submission, if I knew about them.

Then why don't you test against R-devel before submitting?

  If the tests were
> rolled out with R, and only later incorporated into CRAN submission
> testing, I think there would be a lot less work for the CRAN
> maintainers.

I am an R core member, not a member of CRAN.  If I make a change to R,
I'd like to know the effect it has on the corpus of CRAN and
Bioconductor packages, but I don't have the computing resources to run
it against all of those in a reasonable amount of time.  We have heard
from various corporate users of R (Revolution Computing and Google are
two) that they would like to contribute to the project, but we don't
actually see useful contributions from them.

I don't know if you personally have influence with anyone who has such
resources, but surely some on this list do.  So why don't they write to
me and tell me how to use their computing resources to run proposed
changes against all published packages?  I think it's because it's
easier to do nothing than to do something.  It's certainly easier to say
that it's the CRAN maintainers' fault for poor communication than it is
to identify and address the problems.

Duncan Murdoch

  (This is ignoring the possibility that CRAN submission is