[Rd] FOSS licence with BuildVignettes: false

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 01:04:21 CEST 2013

Uwe Ligges <ligges <at> statistik.tu-dortmund.de> writes:

> Setting
>
> BuildVignettes: false
>
> is fine if it is possible to build the vignettes, and the latter is
> checked in CRAN incoming checks (but not the daily checks).
>
> Uwe Ligges

   Hmmm.  I was told by the CRAN maintainers on Aug 7 that

CRAN> "FOSS licence with BuildVignettes: false" is not a false positive,
CRAN> is fixable, and is mentioned at
CRAN> http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-devel/R-exts.html#
CRAN>    The-DESCRIPTION-file as not to be used in an FOSS package.

  (I had said in my previous e-mail to CRAN that all NOTEs were
false positives, minor or not fixable.)  Admittedly this e-mail
nowhere said explicitly "you must fix this or we will not accept
it for CRAN", but that was certainly the impression I got.

TFM says

R-exts>   [BuildVignettes: false] should only be used exceptionally, for
R-exts> example if the PDFs include large figures which are not part of the
R-exts> package sources (and hence only in packages which do not have an
R-exts> Open Source license).

   So either I'm confused (always a possibility!) or it seems
there are some inconsistencies here ...