[Rd] declaring package dependencies

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 01:11:04 CEST 2013

Matthew Dowle <mdowle <at> mdowle.plus.com> writes:

> I'm a little surprised by this thread.
>
> I subscribe to the RSS feeds of changes to NEWS (as Dirk mentioned) and
> that's been pretty informative in the past :
> http://developer.r-project.org/RSSfeeds.html
>
> Mainly though, I submit to winbuilder before submitting to CRAN, as the
> CRAN policies advise.  winbuilder's R-devel seems to be built daily,
> saving me the time. Since I don't have Windows it kills two birds with
> one stone.  It has caught many problems for me before submitting to CRAN
> and I can't remember it ever not responding in a reasonable time.
> http://win-builder.r-project.org/upload.aspx
>
> I've suggested before that winbuilder could be the mechanism to submit
> to CRAN rather than an ftp upload to incoming.  Only if winbuilder
> passed OK on R-devel could it then go to a human.   But iirc there was a
> technical difficulty preventing this.
>
> Matthew

  I was planning to write a careful e-mail to CRAN suggesting
essentially this, and I may yet do so, but for now I'll just chime in
and "+1" this.  Yihui Xie made a very similar suggestion sometime
last year (I think).  It would seem so much easier for everyone,
package maintainers *and* CRAN maintainers, to have an automatic
filter of this sort, and I can't figure out any downside other than
needing slightly more computer power (which surely must be a reasonable
tradeoff for fewer human resources!), *if* having the
auto-filter made people sloppier about checking before submitting.
   Do you happen to remember what the technical difficulty was?
If I were a CRAN maintainer (thank goodness I'm not!), overcoming
it would be one of my top priorities ...

  Ben Bolker