[Rd] declaring package dependencies

Brian Rowe rowe at muxspace.com
Mon Sep 16 04:46:32 CEST 2013

That reminds me: I once made a suggestion on how to automate some of the CRAN deployment process, but it was shot down as not being useful to them. I do recall a quote that was along the lines of "as long as you don't need help, do whatever you want", so one thought is to just set up a build server that does the building across the three versions of R, checks dependencies, rebuilds when release, patch, or devel are updated, etc. This would ease the burden on package maintainers and would just happen to make the CRAN folks' lives easier by catching a lot of bad builds. A proof of concept on AWS connecting to github or rforge could probably be finished on a six-pack. Speak up if anyone thinks this would be useful.