[Rd] Design for classes with database connection

Paul Gilbert pgilbert902 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 00:27:14 CEST 2013

Simon

Your idea to use SQLite and the nature of some of the sorting and
extracting you are suggesting makes me wonder why you are thinking of R
data structures as the home for the data storage. I would be inclined to
put the data in an SQL database as the prime repository, then extract
parts you want with SQL queries and bring them into R for analysis and
graphics. If the full data set is large, and the parts you want to
analyze in R at any one time are relatively small, then this will be
much faster. After all, SQL is primarily for databases, whereas R's
strength is more in statistics and graphics.

In the project http://tsdbi.r-forge.r-project.org/ I have code that does
some of the things you probably want. There the focus is on a single
identifier for a series, and various observation frequencies are
supported. Tick data is supported (as time stamped data) but not
extensively tested as I do not work with tick data much. There is a
function TSquery, currently in TSdbi on CRAN but very shortly being
split with the SQL specific parts of the interface into a package TSsql.
It is very much like the queries you seem to have in mind, but I have
not used it with tick data. It is used to generate a time series by
formulating a query to a database with several possible sorting fields,
very much like you describe, and then order the data according to the
time index.

If your data set is large, then you need to think carefully about which
fields you index. You certainly do not want to be building the indexes
on the fly, as you would need to do if you dump all the data out of R
into an SQL db just to do a sort. If the data set is small then indexing
does not matter too much. Also, for a small data set there will be much
less advantage of keeping the data in an SQL db rather than in R. You do
need to be a bit more specific about what "huge" means. (Tick data for 5
days or 20 years? A 100 IDs or 10 million?) Large for an R structure is
not necessarily large for an SQL db. With more specifics I might be able
to give more suggestions.

(R-SIG-DB may be a better forum for this discussion.)

HTH,
Paul