[Rd] Capture output of install.packages (pipe system2)

Jeroen Ooms jeroen.ooms at stat.ucla.edu
Tue Sep 24 16:37:27 CEST 2013

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 6:50 PM, Duncan Murdoch
<murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:
> x <- system2("Rscript", "-e \"install.packages('MASS',
> repos='http://probability.ca/cran')\"", stdout=TRUE, stderr=TRUE)

Thank you, this suggestion seems to work (although I agree that
starting 3 procs to install a single package seems suboptimal). One
additional question: is it safe to assume that the "Rscript"
executable can always be found by the R process (cross platform), or
do I need to modify the example in case Rscript is not in the system
search path?