[Rd] C API to get numrow of data frame

Kevin Ushey kevinushey at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 04:51:37 CEST 2014

The safest way is to check the length of the row.names attribute, e.g.

    length(getAttrib(df, R_RowNamesSymbol)).

This protects you from both data.frames with zero columns, as well as
corrupted data.frames containing columns with different lengths, since
by definition the number of rows in a data.frame is defined by its
row.names attribute. However, R will internally un-collapse a
collapsed row.names on this getAttrib call, which is probably
undesired for very large data.frames.

One way of getting around this is calling .row_names_info from R, e.g.
(modulo my errors):

int df_nrows(SEXP s) {
    if (!Rf_inherits(s, "data.frame")) Rf_error("expecting a data.frame");
    SEXP two = PROTECT(Rf_ScalarInteger(2));
    SEXP call = PROTECT( Rf_lang3(
      Rf_install(".row_names_info"),
      s,
      two
    ) );
    SEXP result = PROTECT(Rf_eval(call, R_BaseEnv));
    int output = INTEGER(result)[0];
    UNPROTECT(3);
    return output;
}

More ideally (?), such a function could be added to util.c and
exported by R, e.g. (again, modulo my errors):

int df_nrows(SEXP s) {
    if (!inherits(s, "data.frame")) error("expecting a data.frame");
    SEXP t = getAttrib0(s, R_RowNamesSymbol);
    if (isInteger(t) && INTEGER(t)[0] == NA_INTEGER && LENGTH(t) == 2)
      return abs(INTEGER(t)[1]);
    else
      return LENGTH(t);
}

or even incorporated into the already available 'nrows' function.
Although there is probably someone out there depending on 'nrows'
returning the number of columns for their data.frame...

Cheers,
Kevin