[Rd] [Bioc-devel] Conflicting definitions for function redefined as S4 generics

Ulrich Bodenhofer bodenhofer at bioinf.jku.at
Thu Apr 3 13:33:23 CEST 2014

On 03/27/2014 06:31 PM, Hervé Pagès wrote:
> On 03/27/2014 02:13 AM, Ulrich Bodenhofer wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> For the time being, it seems I have three options:
>>
>> 1) not supplying the sort() function yet (it is not yet in the release,
>> but only in my internal devel version)
>> 2) including a dependency to BiocGenerics
>> 3) leaving the problem open, mentioning in the documentation that users
>> who want to use apcluster in conjunction with Bioconductor should load
>> BiocGenerics first
>
> 4) define an S3 method, as mentioned in my previous post
>
> H.

After a while, I came back to this suggestion. Thanks, Hervé! I now
tried it and it indeed works smoothly: all problems I mentioned - as you
expected correctly - are resolved. It seems that BiocGenerics screws up
my previously defined S4 generic, but leaves my S3 function untouched.
Hmm ...

The question is whether it is good style to use S3 and S4 together.
Actually I am reluctant to think so, but if it helps and creates no
other problems whatsoever, why not?

Cheers,
Ulrich