[Rd] R 3.1.0 and C++11

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Apr 10 14:22:27 CEST 2014

On 2 December 2013 at 07:04, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

| Following up on the thread spawned a while back, I just wanted to say that I
| appreciate today's RSS serving of R-devel NEWS:
|
|    CHANGES IN R-devel PACKAGE INSTALLATION
|
|    There is _experimental_ support for compiling C++11 code in packages. The
|    file ‘src/Makevars’ or ‘src/Makevars.win’ should define the macro
|    ‘USE_CXX11 = true’. Where needed, an alternative C++11 compiler can be
|    specified by setting macros ‘CXX11’, ‘CXX11FLAGS’ and so on, either when R
|    is configured or in a personal ‘Makevars’ file. (The default is to use
|    ‘$(CXX) -std=c++11’.)
|
| Thanks for initial and incremental changes. They are appreciated.

And now a big thanks to Martyn and anybody else in R Core who pushed this
through to the R 3.1.0 release this morning.

Having Makevars to let us say CXX_STD = CXX11 (plus the other variants) is a
real step forward, and relying on the information gleaned at configuration
time for R is sensible too.

It's really good to have this, so thanks again.

Dirk