[Rd] Can the output of Sys.getenv() be improved?

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Fri Apr 18 18:50:22 CEST 2014

> Within an R session, type Sys.getenv() will list all the environment variables, but each one
> of them occupies about a page, so scrolling to find one is difficult. Is this because I don't
> know how to use it or something could be improved?

Attaching the class "simple.list" to the output of Sys.getenv() gives it
a nicer print method:

   > structure(Sys.getenv(), class="simple.list")
                           _
   ALCKPath                C:\\Program Files\\Lenovo\\AutoLock
   ALLUSERSPROFILE         C:\\ProgramData
   windir                  C:\\Windows

(I don't know why print.simple.list adds the line with a hyphen above the 2nd
column at the top.)

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com