[Rd] type.convert and doubles

Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D. therneau at mayo.edu
Tue Apr 22 19:18:55 CEST 2014

"No global options"
I don't have an opinion about type.convert, but I must object to Martin's sweeping
statement about global options, and stringsAsFactors in particular.  There have been only
a few decisions in Splus/R that were so bad that our biostat group modified the core
routines in order to return to sane behavior: automatic conversion of strings to factors
was one of them --- not just when reading a data set but every bloody time you modified a
data frame.  Addition of the global option was a blessing.

I work in a large biostatistics group whose mission is the advancement of medicine.
Nothing frightens me more about the long term viability of R as a tool than sweeping
announcements about "principles" which brush pragmatic considerations aside as irrelevant.
  Some of us need to get work done.  (S4 zealots can be particularly annoying in this
regard.)

How many of you remember the orignal S decision to have all modeling functions fail upon
seeing a missing value?  The na.action argument was only available within lm() etc calls,
with no global override, because "missing values are serious artifacts and should not be
removed without thought".   Martin- should this be removed from the global options as well?

Terry T.