[Rd] palette() can hang and fail due to X11

Andrew Piskorski atp at piskorski.com
Fri Apr 25 01:54:29 CEST 2014

The fundamental problem here seems to be a change (probably a bug) in
the behavior of palette().  In R 3.1.0, calling palette() opens a new
X window (on Linux)!  That seems like a bug, as I can't think of any
good reason for it to open a window, and it never did in any of the
2.x versions of R I've ever used.

I am using:

  R 3.1.0 (Patched), 2014-04-15, svn.rev 65398, x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
  Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS

Is there something else I should check to help track down the bug?

--
Andrew Piskorski <atp at piskorski.com>