[Rd] Please make Pre-3.1 read.csv (type.convert) behavior available

Tom Kraljevic tomk at 0xdata.com
Sat Apr 26 18:43:37 CEST 2014

Hi Dirk,

Thanks for taking the time to respond (both here and in other forums).

Most of what I wanted to share I put in a followup response to Duncan (please read
that thread if you’re interested).

I would like to comment on the last point you brought up, though, in case anyone else
finds it beneficial.

For data which is exchanged programmatically machine-to-machine, I was able to
use Java’s Double.toHexString() as a direct replacement for toString().  R is able
to read this lossless (but still text) format.  So this addresses some of the challenges
we have with this change.

Thanks,
Tom