[Rd] "Name partially matched in data frame"

Fisher Dennis fisher at plessthan.com
Wed Apr 30 21:03:34 CEST 2014

R 3.1.0
OS X

Colleagues,

I recently updated to 3.1.0 and I have encountered
	Warning messages: ...  Name partially matched in data frame
when I do something like:
	DATAFRAME$colname
where colname is actually something longer than that (but unambiguous).

I have much appreciated the partial matching capabilities because it fits with my workflow.  I often receive updated data months after the initial code is written.  In order to keep track of what I did in the past, I provide lengthy (unambiguous) names for columns, then abbreviate the names as I call them.  This behavior has been termed “lazy” in various correspondence on this mailing list but it works for me and probably works for others.

I realize that the new message is only a warning but it is a minor nuisance.  Would it be possible to add an
	option(partialMatch=TRUE)	## default is FALSE
or something similar to suppress that behavior?  That should keep both camps happy.

Dennis

Dennis Fisher MD
P < (The "P Less Than" Company)
Phone: 1-866-PLessThan (1-866-753-7784)