[Rd] More than one package document with the same name

John McKown john.archie.mckown at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 02:10:28 CEST 2014

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 5:47 PM, Davison, Jerry <jdavison at fhcrc.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I sent this to the Bioconductor mailing list (q.v.), replies recommended this forum. Here it is:
> A suggestion. Typically a package provides documentation of two types, one or more vignettes and a reference manual; and they have the same file name, PackageName.pdf.  When downloaded some file name manipulation is required, or accept PackageName(1).pdf.
>
> I suggest the documents be given different names, for example the reference manual could be named PackageNameRefMan.pdf. Package checking could enforce the rule.
> Jerry

Sounds like you want to put all the pdf files in a single directory. I
like that too. I cheat. I run Linux. I have a ~/Documents/R-pdfs in
which I keep "symlinks" to all the pdf files. And I do it similar to
the way that you indicate. I make the name of the pdf be
${enclosing_directory}_${original_pdf_name.pdf}. I do something like:

cd ~/Documents/R-pdf
find /usr/lib64/R -name '*.pdf'|\
while read i;do
  file=${i##*/};
  dir=${i%%/doc/*.pdf};
  package=${dir##*/};
  ln -s "$i" "${package}_${file}";
done

Above won't work if anything has a blank in it. Windows people tend to
do this. Most UNIX people are better trained.

It would be nice if the packagers did this. But the above works for
me. On Linux and other UNIX like systems. Won't work for the poor,
benighted Windows people. But I think something similar is possible.
But I don't know Windows well enough.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown