[Rd] as.Date.character suggestion

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 09:28:34 CEST 2014

On 21 Aug 2014, at 02:21 , Gabriel Becker <gmbecker at ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> Ah, my mistake, I read too fast. (My code is also wrong, embarassingly).
>
> It seems like it's behavior when you pass it "" is simply a bug, then.
>
> Sorry for the noise,
>
> ~G

It's not a bug, it's just that you are at the mercy of strptime() if you do specify a format. If the format doesn't contain a conversion for some component, you get the value corresponding to the current date and leftover characters are just ignored, e.g.

> strptime("1-1foo","%m-%d")
[1] "2014-01-01"

and the extreme case is that a "" format gives current date, whatever the input. On Mac OSX Mavericks anyway --- this stuff is system-dependent.

So I think Peter Langfelder is absolutely right, remove the default, which is never used anyway, and possibly update the documentation with a more direct reference to strptime(). This should have near-zero effect on the semantics.

Peter D.