[Rd] working with huge memory: single precision?

Mario Emmenlauer mario at emmenlauer.de
Wed Aug 27 10:03:40 CEST 2014

Hello,

I'm very new to R and don't know much about it yet. I would like
to develop R-programs that work with data of sizes of 10^10 - 10^11
data points. We have very-high-memory machines with ~256 GB, but it
would significantly help if I could store the data points in single
precision in RAM instead of double precision. Is that possible?

In the documentation I found a sentence saying its not supported,
at least not out of the box. But I am quite desperate and would also
consider working with an alpha version or with extension packages?

Ideally I would like type promotion to work, i.e. that when using
the data in math operations they should be promoted to double.

Any help is greatly appreciated! All the best,

    Mario

--
Mario Emmenlauer BioDataAnalysis             Mobil: +49-(0)151-68108489
Balanstrasse 43                    mailto: mario.emmenlauer * unibas.ch