[Rd] Re R CMD check checking in development version of R

Gavin Simpson ucfagls at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 00:01:53 CEST 2014

On 27 August 2014 15:24, Hadley Wickham <h.wickham at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Is that the cause of these NOTEs? Is the expectation that if I am using a
> > function from a package, even a package that I have in Depends:, that I
> > have to explicitly declare these imports in NAMESPACE?
>
> Yes.
>
> (Otherwise your package won't work if it's only attached and not
> loaded. i.e. if someone does analogue::foo() only the imported
> functions are available, not the functions in packages you depend on)

Cheers Hadley. Thanks for the confirmation, but...

...I don't get this; what is the point of Depends? I thought it was "my
package needs these other packages to work, i.e. be loaded". Hence it is
user error (IMHO ;-) to do `analogue::foo()` without having the
dependencies loaded too.

This check (whilst having found some things I should have imported and
didn't - which is a good thing!) seems to be circumventing the intention of
having something in Depends. Is Depends going to go away?

> (And really you shouldn't have any packages in depends, they should
> all be in imports)

I disagree with *any*; having say vegan loaded when one is using analogue
is a design decision as the latter borrows heavily from and builds upon
vegan. In general I have moved packages that didn't need to be in Depends
into Imports; in the version I am currently doing final tweaks on before it
goes to CRAN I have remove all but vegan from Depends.

Or am I thinking about this in the wrong way?

Thanks again

Gavin

--
Gavin Simpson, PhD