[Rd] Significant memory leak when using XML on Windows

Janko Thyson janko.thyson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 21:13:54 CET 2014

Dear list,

I'm sorry to keep coming back with this time and time again, but this bug
is still not fixed even though the root cause of the issue has been around
for 2-3 years now. And as the number of packages that depend on XML grows,
I thought maybe this deserves some wider attention.

I did my best to make reproduction of the issue as easy as possible:
https://github.com/omegahat/XML/issues/4
http://goo.gl/aV17Lv

But as I'm not familiar with C I'm kind of out of clues of what else do to.

Duncan has been really dedicated and helpful so far, but unfortunately he
seems to have too little time to really dig into this himself. So I thought
I'd try and raise the attention of other developers that have the skills to
fix this. Apparently, the issue is caused by the way the memory consumed by
the underlying C-objects/pointers is released (or not released, for that
matter).

I'd so much appreciate if someone could have a look at this. If I can be of
any help whatsoever, please let me know!

Thanks and best regards,
Janko

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]