[Rd] seq range argument

Berry Boessenkool berryboessenkool at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 3 15:43:05 CET 2014

Thanks Dave!
I settled on something similar, but more general, for my function collection package.
I just thought this could be wanted by more people and thus interesting for base::seq.

In case anyone is interested in my solution, keep reading.

Berry

# Add a range argument to seq

seqr <- function(from=1, to=1, range, ...)
{
# Input checking:
if(!is.vector(range)) stop("'range' must be a vector.")
if(!is.numeric(range)) stop("'range' must be numeric.")
# only set from and to if range is given as input:
if(!missing(range))
  {
  from <- range[1]     # first
  to <- tail(range,1)  # and last value
  if(length(range)>2L)
     {
     from <- min(range, finite=TRUE) # min
     to   <- max(range, finite=TRUE) # and max
     }
  }
# now call seq with from and to (obtained from range)
seq(from=from, to=to, ...)
}

# Examples
m <- c(41, 12, 38, 29, 50, 39, 22)
seqr(range=extendrange(m, f=0.1), len=5)
# Takes min and max of range if thae vector has more than two elements.
seqr(range=m, by=3)