[Rd] suggested addition to 'install.packages' help file

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Feb 9 10:10:17 CET 2014

On 06/02/2014 18:25, Patrick Burns wrote:
> I suggest that there be an additional sentence
> in the explanation for the 'repos' argument in
> the help file for 'install.packages':
>
> If the repository is on a local drive, then the
> string should begin with \code{file:}, e.g.,
> \code{"file:J:/Rrepos"}.
>

> Perhaps I'm missing some subtlety, but it makes
> things work in my case.

You are (more than one).  The help says

    repos: character vector, the base URL(s) of the repositories to use,

A file:// scheme *is* a URL, but how to specify it correctly is
described under ?url.  'Local drive' is a not a portable concept, but a
repository on a file system mounted on the same machine may also be
accessible via a http:// scheme.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk