[Rd] Question re: NA, NaNs in R

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 20:06:10 CET 2014

On 10/02/2014 1:43 PM, Kevin Ushey wrote:
> Also, similarly, to clarify, should there be _one_ unique bit pattern
> for R's NA_REAL, or two? Because I see (for a function hex that
> produces the hex representation of a number):

I don't think the language definition defines bit patterns, it defines
behaviour.  If both of those bit patterns behave correctly, then it's
fine.  (I see the same patterns as you do in 64 bit R-patched, but only
the 2nd in 32 bit R).

Now, perhaps we should define the bit pattern for NA_real_ to make the
optimization you're looking into a bit easier; I don't know if that's
trivial or hard.

Duncan Murdoch