[Rd] path.package() versus system.file() for locating installed package folders

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Wed Feb 12 17:28:34 CET 2014

Hi all,

For several years, I have used path.package() to get the path to Perl scripts contained within WriteXLS.

I have a request to change this to using system.file(), which would provide the ability to utilize WriteXLS functionality, without having to load the package, which path.package() requires.

Based upon my review of the code, I don't see any obvious down sides to making the change, but wanted to solicit comments from anyone that might challenge the change in the code.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz