[Rd] contrib.url in non-interactive mode

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Feb 14 11:54:38 CET 2014

On 14/02/2014 10:03, Renaud Gaujoux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is it intended that one cannot install packages in non-interactive mode,
> without explicitly setting a CRAN mirror (see below)?
> Couldn't a default mirror be used in that case?
> Thank you.

You seem to be talking about installing from CRAN.  The intention is
indeed that in non-interactive use you have to select the repositories
you want to use.  See ?setRepositories and its links.

It is up to you to set a default mirror: we have little idea where you
live (and it may not be where your email address suggests).  Geolocation
of mirrors had been mooted but not implemented (and in a corporate
setting is not 100% reliable).  The whole point of mirrors is to spread
the load: without them there would be no CRAN as the main host would not
allow the traffic.

This would have been appropriate for R-help, if it would not have been
answered by doing the homework required by the posting guide (which also
requires no HTML ...).