[Rd] getting environment from "top" promise

Romain Francois romain at r-enthusiasts.com
Fri Feb 14 19:07:16 CET 2014

Le 14 févr. 2014 à 16:40, luke-tierney at uiowa.edu a écrit :

> On Tue, 11 Feb 2014, Romain Francois wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> We have something very similar to your while loop in dplyr.
>> https://github.com/hadley/dplyr/blob/02a609310184d003c2ae9e0c013bfa69fa4d257a/inst/include/tools/DataDots.h#L15
>>
>> because we need to know exactly in which environment a promise is supposed to be evaluated, even though we might combine standard R evaluation with an alternative faster engine. this is the basis of what we called hybrid evaluation.
>>

>> For future work, I also have the while loop in the Promise class in Rcpp11, so that when you create a Promise in Rcpp11, its .environment() method gives you what you expect.
>> https://github.com/romainfrancois/Rcpp11/blob/master/inst/include/Rcpp/Promise.h#L14
>>
>> So, this is something I find useful, although I’m not sure we are supposed to mess with promises.
>
> No you are not :-)

Most of what we do with them is consult them. So whenever the better approach you mention becomes available in R, we can update the Promise class and change how to get access to the expression and the environment in which it will be eventually evaluated.

Not the first time I get « you are not supposed to use that because we might change it ». Experience is that that sort of changes are relatively slow to happen, so are easy to adapt to.

Romain