[Rd] Sweave trims console output in "tex" mode

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 13:06:42 CET 2014

On 14-01-03 5:47 AM, Kirill Müller wrote:
> I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. Do you prefer including the entire
> original message when replying? Or perhaps I misunderstood you when you
> wrote:

You don't need to include irrelevant material in your reply, but you
should include explanatory material when you are arguing about a
particular claim.  If you aren't sure whether it is relevant or not,
then you should probably ask for clarification rather than arguing with
the claim.

>   > Carriage returns usually don't matter in LaTeX, so I didn't even know
> about this option, though I use results=tex quite often. I had to look
> at the source to see where the newlines were going, and saw it there.
>
> Could you please clarify? Thanks.

Single carriage returns are usually equivalent to spaces.  Multiple
carriage returns separate paragraphs, but they are rare in code chunk
output in my Sweave usage.  I normally put plain text in the LaTeX part
of the Sweave document.

I have checked my own .Rnw files, and I have used results=tex about 600
times, but never used strip.white.

I've also looked at the .Rnw files in CRAN packages, and
strip.white=true and strip.white=all are used there about 140 times, but
strip.white=false is only used 10 times.  I think only one package
(SweaveListingUtils) uses strip.white=false in combination with results=tex.

So while I agree Martin's "adaptive" option would have been a better
default than "true", I think it would be more likely to cause trouble
than to solve it.

Duncan Murdoch