[Rd] CRAN rejects package because of write statement in Fortran

Marian Talbert mtalbert at usgs.gov
Wed Jan 8 21:43:10 CET 2014

I recently developed an R package to make available a very large legacy
program written in Fortran.  My package has been rejected by CRAN due to
this Write statement with the message "As 'Writing R Extensions' warns you
against including Fortran I/O, this will not be allowed."

The issue is that this Write statement does not involve I/O it is inernally
writing an integer to a character which is then placed in an appropriate
message (character string) passed to the error handling function recommened
in writing R extensions rexit(message).  I'm working with a very large
legacy program which was developed over 16 years and I am reluctant to
rewrite the entire error handling sections in R.  I was wondering if anyone
has gotten CRAN to accept a package with a Fortran write statement
converting numbers to characters or if anyone has found another method for
doing type conversion in Fortran without the "write" statement.  Thanks for
your help

Marian