[Rd] Trouble installing package in development version of R

Roberta Jankowski robertajankowski at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 22:40:54 CET 2014

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 8:54 AM, Duncan Murdoch
<murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14-01-26 12:44 AM, Roberta Jankowski wrote:> Dear R-devel,
>

>> I'm trying to get practice learning more about the internals of R so am
>> experimenting with the development version. I successfully cloned the SVN
>> repo and built and installed R. I am using 2014-01-23 r64861.
>>
>> However, I cannot seem to install the lattice package. I tried within R
>> using install.packages and got the error
>> sh: 1: 1: not found
>
> That message comes from "sh", the command shell that R is running.
>

>> I then downloaded the tar.gz and tried it as follows:
>> $ sudo R CMD INSTALL lattice_0.20-24.tar.gz
>>
>> * installing to library ‘/home/rjan/R/i686-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.1’
>> * installing *source* package ‘lattice’ ...
>> ** package ‘lattice’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
>> ** libs
>> sh: 1: 1: not found
>
> Same here.  However, notice that some install messages printed, so the
> install started, it just failed partway through.
>

>> ERROR: compilation failed for package ‘lattice’
>> * removing ‘/home/rjan/R/i686-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.1/lattice’
>>
>> I then looked at the help for R CMD INSTALL and saw debug flag so I did:
>> $ sudo R CMD INSTALL -d lattice_0.20-24.tar.gz
>> processing ‘lattice_0.20-24.tar.gz’
>> a file
>> * installing to library ‘/home/rjan/R/i686-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.1’
>> * build_help_types=
>> * DBG: 'R CMD INSTALL' now doing do_install()
>> * created lock directory
>> ‘/home/rjan/R/i686-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.1/00LOCK-lattice’
>> * installing *source* package ‘lattice’ ...
>> ** package ‘lattice’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
>> ** libs
>> about to run R CMD SHLIB -o lattice.so init.c threeDplot.c
>> sh: 1: 1: not found
>> ERROR: compilation failed for package ‘lattice’
>> * removing ‘/home/rjan/R/i686-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.1/lattice’
>
> So it looks as though R CMD SHLIB is the step that failed.  You can look it
> up in Writing R Externals, it is supposed to compile those C files into the
> output lattice.so.  Something is going wrong here.
> My guess is that you don't have the compiler installed, or R CMD SHLIB is
> looking in the wrong place, or something like that.
>

>> I then did
>> $ cd lattice/src
>> $ R CMD SHLIB -d -o lattice.so init.c threeDplot.c
>> sh: 1: 1: not found
>>
>> I'm interested in two things.
>> 1 does anyone know what's going on?
>> 2. how could I have figured this out myself? What could I have done
>> differently for the R CMD SHLIB command to get more output (for example
>> where this line of code was)?
>
> You can look at the online help within R, ?SHLIB, and it will tell you that
> -n will give you some diagnostic information.

Yes this is useful. I thought that -d would provide more useful info
than -n but both are helpful.

> You can also try
>
> R CMD SHLIB --help
>
> to see a bit more.
>
> One other thing you can do if you need to ask here again, is to post system
> and version information printed by R by sessionInfo().  And please don't
> post in HTML.

Done. (I've now checked "plain text" in GMail which I think should to
the trick).

I will do more reading and experimenting. I think for now I should
just learn R better before experimenting further with devel version. I
already learned a lot even though I did not succeed in package
installation so it was a good lesson.

Thank you for your useful replies and for your work on R. I follow
this list now and am learning a lot from your email responses.

Thanks for your patience,

Berta