[Rd] Rtools -- compiling C dll for 64-bit

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 16:34:03 CEST 2014

On 04/07/2014 9:47 AM, Dalthorp, Daniel wrote:
> Thank-you for the prompt and helpful response. It sounds like all I
> need is a very simple fix, but it eludes me.
>
> I am trying to call a custom C function from R to speed a calculation.
> I'm on Windows 7 with R 3.0.2 and the latest Rtools. I run R CMD SHLIB
> cfunc.c from the DOS command line and a.dll is created. In R,
> dyn.load("cfunc.dll") works fine with 32-bit R but fails with 64-bit
> ("LoadLibrary failure:  %1 is not a valid Win32 application", where
> "%1" refers to cfunc.dll).
>
> The first part of my PATH reads:
> c:\Rtools\bin;C:\Rtools\gcc-4.6.3\bin;C:\Program Files\R\R-3.0.2\bin\x64

If you run R CMD SHLIB you should by default get the same architecture
as the version of R that you used.  For example, if I have 64 bit R
first on my path I see this:

$ R CMD SHLIB test.c
gcc -m64 -I"F:/R/svn/r-devel/R64/include" -DNDEBUG          -O2 -Wall
-std=gnu9
9 -mtune=core2 -c test.c -o test.o
gcc -m64 -shared -s -static-libgcc -o test.dll tmp.def test.o
-LF:/R/svn/r-devel
/R64/bin/x64 -lR

That's a 64 bit build.  If I have 32 bit R first, I see this:

$ R CMD SHLIB test.c
gcc  -I"F:/R/svn/r-devel/R/include" -DNDEBUG          -O3 -Wall
-std=gnu99 -mtu
ne=core2 -c test.c -o test.o
gcc -shared -s -static-libgcc -o test.dll tmp.def test.o
-LF:/R/svn/r-devel/R/bi
n/i386 -lR

That's a 32 bit build.  From the look of your PATH, you should have 64
bit R first, but you say you're getting 32 bit DLLs, which doesn't make
any sense.  I'll assume you've got a typo in your message somewhere, but
you probably want to check what

R --version

prints to be sure.

Duncan Murdoch