[Rd] request of information about creating DLL from R to be used in other languages/programs

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 19:24:38 CEST 2014

On 18/07/2014, 10:29 AM, Ludovic Brossard wrote:
> Hello
>

> My question is the following. I have tried to find a similar subject in
> archives but not found (perhaps bad search!) and I tried R-help and I was
> advised that R-devel would perhaps better for my question
>

> So I wonder if it is possible to create a dll from a R code to use it in
> another language/program.
>
> Indeed, one of my colleague wrote a R code combining some R functions to
> create a method of calculation.
>
> I would want to use this method in a program coded in Delphi.
>

> Is there possibilities to create a DLL from R code to be called in the
> Delphi program ?
>
> It would allow us to avoid rewriting code and searching correspondence
> between R functions and Delphi program (or other types of tools as TPMath).
>
> Is it possible to call a dll form R whereas R is not installed on the
> computer?
>

> I hope to be clear in my demand an I hope you will be able to give me some
> indications or where to find it.

Most of this is possible, but not easy.  See chapter 8 of the "Writing R
Extensions" manual.  You are essentially writing a new "front-end" to R,
and it will require R to be installed for it to work.

Many years ago I wrote instructions for using Delphi to create a DLL for
R to use, which is another approach you could try.  I've no idea how
obsolete those instructions are nowadays, but they might give you some
starting points:

http://www.stats.uwo.ca/faculty/murdoch/software/compilingDLLs/pascal.html

Duncan Murdoch